Essentia Protein Solutions is one of seven companies in The Lauridsen Group, Inc. (LGI), a privately held company focused on the manufacture, sales, and marketing of value added proteins and protein co-products. Founded in 1975 and headquartered in Ankeny, Iowa, LGI is a global company.
Essentia Protein Solutions (formerly Proliant Meat Ingredients), a manufacturer of functional proteins, stocks, and broths for the food industry, is looking for someone to join their team in Ankeny, IA as an Engineering Manager. This individual will lead the engineering function and collaborate with other departments to manage various projects.
Essentia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Apply online at:http://essentiaproteins.com/en/careers
PURPOSE: The Essentia Engineering Manager plans, organizes and directs the Engineering team to meet company objectives for design, new product development and improvement of existing production processes by performing the following duties personally or through subordinates.
• Directs appropriate support for manufacturing and quality functions within the organization, including Essentia manufacturing and raw material collection facilities.
• Oversees key projects, processes and performance reports, data and analysis.
• Selects, develops, trains and supervises staff.
• Develops, determines and implements Essentia engineering policies, procedures and programs.
• Selects correct design concepts and fundamental technology used for new products or improvement for existing ones.
• Reviews and analyzes proposals submitted to determine if benefits derived and possible applications justify expenditures.
• Approves and submits proposals considered feasible to management for consideration and allocation of funds or allocates funds from the department budget.
• Develops and implements methods and procedures for monitoring projects such as preparation of records of expenditures and research findings, progress reports, and staff conferences to inform management of current status of each project.
• Working with the manufacturing, operations and quality manager, reviews and monitors quality and process improvements and new product development.
• Reviews operations and plans to meet requirements for sales planning and to ascertain engineering requirements to develop new markets and related technologies.
• Directs preparation of accounting records for engineering budgets and project expenditures.
• Recommends budgets to management, including staff use, technology, facility and equipment requirements or improvements.
• Negotiates contracts with outside engineering firms to perform research or other applicable studies or support.
• Provides oversight to outside engineering firms and consultants as necessary to ensure accurate and proper engineering designs.
• Directly manages and implements key projects from design to development, as well as providing onsite presence in the field during those projects.
• Drives continuous improvement to overall quality, efficiency, processes and cost reduction initiatives by collaborating with Essentia facilities, collection sites and peer groups.
• Provides regular updates to engineering team regarding the status of projects.
• Promotes inter-plant collaboration by providing engineering support on an as-needed basis, developing and distributing a monthly project status report, and following up with facility team leaders on cost reduction/process improvement ideas.
• Analyzes product or equipment specifications and performance requirements to determine design, which can be produced by existing manufacturing or processing facilities and methods.
• Analyzes engineering proposals, process requirements, and related technical data pertaining to industrial machinery and equipment design.
• Determines feasibility of designing new processes or modifying existing processes considering costs, available space, time limitations, company planning, and other technical and economic factors.
• Provides technical information concerning manufacturing or processing techniques, materials, properties, and process advantages and limitations which affect long range plant and product engineering planning.
• Promotes safety and a safe working environment in all areas of operation.