COMPANY OVERVIEW: An exciting privately held corporation with a history of exceptional growth located in Ankeny, IA, consisting of seven separate business units with manufacturing facilities located worldwide. The Company is primarily engaged in the manufacture of edible and nonedible protein products.
PURPOSE: The individual in this position is responsible for completing accounts payable duties in a timely and accurate manner. This individual will identify areas for improvement while ensuring duties are completed in accordance with established accounting procedures and standards.
• Daily reconciliation of purchase orders against invoice information.
• Code invoices for multiple companies and plant locations in an accurate and timely manner.
• Verify incoming vendor invoices for accuracy and initiate payments focusing on cash management while optimizing available discounts.
• Evaluate new vendor requests and work with requestor to encourage payment by ACH or credit card.
• Weekly aging of accounts payable and processing of checks, ACH’s and wire payments as needed
• Calculate, verify, and remit raw material/freight payments on a weekly, monthly, and quarterly basis according to the individual supplier/freight contract specifications, as needed.
• Verify and process payments using EDI technology.
• Identify and track plant invoices in multiple states needing sales and use tax adjustments.
• Prepare and process month end close transactions.
• Perform balance sheet reconciliations identifying and resolving issues to be addressed.
• Assist with costing procedures as questions on invoices arise.
• Lead and/or participate on cross functional teams to continually develop and improve processes.
• Develop strong working relationships with the plant administrative assistants to problem solve purchase order/invoice discrepancies.
• Provide backup in accounting department for leaves and vacations as needed
• General accounting knowledge and the ability to ensure fully functioning and accurate accounting processes.
• General knowledge of accounting standards/procedures.
• Ability to input and understand a variety of operational and financial information.
• Intermediate to advanced Excel abilities, utilizing pivot tables, macros and msqueries.
• Knowledge of organizational methods and the ability to manage multiple tasks/projects simultaneously.
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality related to all duties and responsibilities.
• Ability to apply accounting formulas and/or perform mathematical calculations.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Ability to work with other related projects as requested by the manager.
Associate’s degree in Accounting or equivalent combination of education and experience.
2 - 3 years of accounting experience required.
Strong Excel skills required.
EDI experience preferred.